A selection committee is looking to purchase art to enhance the healing environment of the new Moeller Cancer Center at OSF HealthCare Saint Anthony’s Health Center in Alton. The center is expected to open this fall.
There are criteria (listed below) but OSF Saint Anthony’s Chief Executive Officer Sister M. Anselma (shown) said the committee, including some cancer survivors and clinical staff from the Center, will be open to a variety of interpretations.
“Whether it’s photographic art or somebody’s artistic reflection of the beauty of nature I think we’re very open to it.”
She added, "We will also be very discerning about what art can truly speak to the heart especially in the midst of worry and crisis that comes with a person’s cancer journey."
The committee is also interested in submissions from cancer patients. Sister suggested, “The more art that comes from people who understand this experience; that will be a beautiful tie-in to what we’re trying to accomplish but we also have an openness about it.”The design includes lots of windows to bring in natural light. Sister Anselma says the committee will be looking for 3D and suspended art that would fill out the environment and create an experience that offers in her words, “a space that has meaning and movement and feel to it versus just a general space that has a picture on the wall.”
Submissions must be made by May 1.
Selected artwork should:
• Reflect the natural beauty of the River Bend area.
• Be consistent with the OSF HealthCare Mission of serving with the greatest care and love in the Spirit of Christ.
• Illustrate nature and new beginnings such as spring, summer, sunrises, trees, plants, flowers and birds.
• Express themes such as light, strength, health, healing, wholeness, beauty, peace and freshness.
• Figurative art should be non-abstract, depicting positive messages.
Items sought should include:
Photography or paintings
• Several pieces approximately 30-by-20 inches
• Some pieces that are approximately 4-by-5 feet
• Potential for a large panoramic piece
• Two pieces of 3D art to fit a 2-by-4 foot space
• Suspended art for 17-foot ceilings in the infusion area
If the file size of submission exceeds email capabilities, please send an email notification you are using an alternative method of submission.