Local Business Headlines
- St. Louis Freightway, Port of New Orleans sign pact aimed at fostering economic growth
- J.C. Penney says it will close up to 140 stores
- Alton resident presented Living Legends Award
- Economic development course series starts March 1
- World’s Largest Garage Sale makes return April 23
- CNB Bank & Trust announces new financial advisor
- SIUE implements reverse transfer credit program with LCCC
- Divine Immanence LLC, Maryville beauty supply business, opens
Field Museum’s Martin to speak at SIUE’s Darwin Day
Dr. Robert Martin of the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago is the featured speaker for Southern Illinois University Edwardsville’s annual Axtell Memorial Lecture in celebration of Darwin Day — Charles Darwin’s birthday.
The presentation is 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 30, in the Morris University Center’s Meridian Ballroom.
Martin’s lecture will be Human Reproduction - from Primate Origins to Darwinian Medicine. The SIUE Departments of Biological Sciences, Psychology, and Anthropology, and the Biology Student Club are sponsoring the event.
Martin is a world-renowned anthropologist, primatologist and evolutionary biologist.
Following the lecture, there will be a reception at the university restaurant, Fixin’s, with light food and a cash bar.
Several from Southwestern Illinois profiled in business publication
A number of Southwestern Illinois business people were recognized this month in the latest edition of St. Louis Small Business Monthly.
Ron Tanner, of Confluence Business Advisors, Dennis Wilmsmeyer, of America's Central Port, Mark Vaughn, of Franklin Vaughn LLC, Desiree Bennyhoff of the Edwardsville-Glen Carbon Chamber of Commerce, CNB Bank & Trust’s Market President Mark Haggard and several others are mentioned as part of a profile called "People to Know in Southwestern Illinois."
The profiles can be found at the publication's online site here.
Hoffman promoting holiday food drive for Belleville pantry
BELLEVILLE – State Rep. Jay Hoffman, D-Swansea, is working with local businesses and organizations to collect non-perishable food and other items for the Community Interfaith Food Pantry.
Residents looking to participate can drop off their goods at the following locations: Hoffman’s constituent service office located at 312 S. High St. in Belleville; the Programs and Services for Older Persons Center located at 201 N. Church St. in Belleville; the Belleville Chamber of Commerce located at 216 E. A St. in Belleville, Bel-Air Bowl located at 200 S. Belt St. in Belleville; Tavern on Main located at 301 E. Main St. in Belleville, 4204 Brewing Co. located at 4204 W. Main St. in Belleville.
Hoffman welcomes donations of non-perishable food such as box meals like hamburger helper, canned foods such as beans or tuna and other staples such as flour, rice, peanut butter, sugar, pancake mix and cereals. There is also a need for personal hygiene items such as soap, razors or feminine hygiene products.
“The holidays are a great time to count our blessings and share them with others,” Hoffman said. “As you prepare for your holiday celebrations with friends and family, please keep in mind the struggles of others in our community and the easy ways you can make a difference.”
Southwestern Madison County Chamber announces its newest members
Southwestern Madison County Chamber of Commerce, based in Granite City, has announced its newest members.
- Gateway Legacy Christian Academy, 544 Niedringhaus, Granite City, IL 62040
- Unique Personnel Consultants, Jessica Vasiloff, 3701-D Nameoki Road, Granite City, IL 62040
- Paycom , Nino Smith, 2 CityPlace, suite 370, Creve Coeur, MO. 63141
- Marshall Wireless, Ben Watson, 3405 B Nameoki Road, Granite City, IL 62040
- Highland Animal Shelter, Mary Parker, 510 Monroe, Highland, IL. 62249
- Commerce Bank, Matt Gomric, 5701 W. Main St., Belleville, IL 62226
- New Opportunities, Inc., Kim Fears, 1510 W. Seventh St., Granite City, IL 62040
- Throttlenet, Erin Janek, 9201 Watson Road, Suite 350, St. Louis, MO. 63126
- Besserman Law Office, LLC, Deborah Besserman, 2301 Pontoon Road, Granite City, IL 62040
- Lascelles - Granite City, Melissa Callis, 1324 Niedringhaus Ave., Granite City, IL 62040