Local Business Headlines
- HSHS St. Elizabeth’s Hospital rehabilitation services gain three-year accreditation
- Midwest Block & Brick expands across several states through acquisitions
- Simmons Hanly Conroy files class action complaint against Ford Motor Co. over sunroofs
- National Park Service manager in St. Louis to helm Pullman National Monument
- Story behind Riverlands nature area topic of presentation Oct. 7 in Alton
- Two Alton businesses being honored as part of Illinois Made initiative
- Anderson Hospital unveils new private patient unit
- Bank of Edwardsville honored with national award for Fairmont Center
Eunice Smith Home to celebrate 50th anniversary on Oct. 15
ALTON – Eunice Smith Home, 1251 College Ave. on the campus of Alton Memorial Hospital, is celebrating its 50th anniversary with an open house from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 15.
The general public is encouraged to tour the facility, and refreshments will be served. Staff members will be on hand to answer questions about the history of the facility.
“Eunice Smith Home has been an important part of this community for 50 years,” said Mark Jeffries, ESH administrator. “We look forward to the opportunity to welcome everyone to the campus and show them how our caring staff takes care of our residents.”
The 62-bed skilled nursing facility opened in 1966 and is named after Eunice Smith, who donated the land on which Alton Memorial Hospital was built in the 1930s. The nursing home site was part of the Elm Ridge estate where the Smith family lived. Ellen Smith Hatch, sister of the home’s namesake and co-founder of Alton Memorial Hospital, provided the land for the home to help realize Miss Eunice’s vision of long-term care services on campus in addition to the care provided by the hospital. Eunice Smith died in 1955.
Eunice Smith Home offers occupational, speech and physical therapy, dietitians, resident activities and the Memory Lane Secure Dementia Unit. The facility in 2015 was the first nursing home in the state to earn an “E for Excellence” award from the American Health Care Association
Eunice Smith Home is not-for-profit and part of Alton Memorial Hospital and BJC Healthcare. In 2015, BJC entered into an agreement with Bethesda Health Group to manage the home.
For more information about the open house, call (618) 463-7330.
People in Business, Collinsville, plans panel discussion, networking
The Collinsville Chapter of People in Business is planning a networking session and panel discussion as part of a relaunch of the chapter’s activities.
Local businesses are invited to a ribbon cutting and grand reopening from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 18, at PIB’s meeting site, the Collinsville Chamber of Commerce office, 221 W Main St. (PIB – Collinsville meets every third Tuesday at the same time and place.)
The panel discussion will be on what local Chambers of Commerce and People in Business can do for the business community.
Among those expected to participate are:
• Dawn Mushill, executive director, Troy/Maryville/St. Jacob/Marine Area Chamber of Commerce
• Wendi Valenti, executive director, Collinsville Chamber of Commerce
• Nancie Zobrist, executive director, Highland Chamber of Commerce
• Jeremy Colton, managing member, Big Frog T-Shirts & More of Edwardsville, and a multi-chamber member
People in Business provides a personal business resource network for information, friendship, corporate coordination and education.
For more information contact Colton through his business at (618) 223-5788.
Memorial Auxiliary plans Unique Boutique event
A variety of unique craft and gift items will be available at Memorial Auxiliary's Unique Boutique Friday, Oct. 7, from 2 to 7 p.m., and Saturday, Oct. 8, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Memorial Health Education Center, 706 East Highway 50 in O'Fallon.
At Unique Boutique will be:
- Monogrammed items by NSquared Designs
- Ashlyn Ahlers’ handmade tutus, bows and bracelets
- Debbie Doodle Creations’ hand-painted and jeweled plates that can be personalized
- Virginia Witt’s specialty designed ornaments for personalization
- Hand-woven specialty baskets by Basket and Bead
- Chocolates by Kakao Chocolates
- Lionne Designs’ collection of jewelry in sterling silver, 14k gold-filled, genuine and natural stones
Dillard’s Sale in Alton Memorial lobby Sept. 21-22
ALTON – Alton Memorial Hospital’s White Cross Auxiliary will conduct a Dillard’s sale in the hospital’s Beeby Wing connector lobby from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 21, and from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 22.
All proceeds benefit the White Cross Auxiliary. Dillard’s will have a wide variety of products for sale.
For more information, call (618) 463-7872.